I’m Jonathan Burston, founder of Interview Expert Academy.
I’m here because I am passionate about helping you stand out at job interviews and overcoming the difficulties and challenges we all face when we’re seeking out a new role.
I know what it’s like searching for a new job and to be called for an interview for a role you really want only for some or all of the following to kick in:
- Am I good enough?
- Focussing on why they wouldn’t choose me for the role
- How I don’t have the right education or experience
- How I never do very well at interviews
- I wonder what the interviewer will be like and whether they’ll like me
- Not really understanding myself and my strengths and weaknesses
- Not really knowing the right answer the questions being posed
- How I’ll have to pick myself up when I don’t get this role
- Not being completely prepared so having to ‘wing it’
You feel as though you’re fighting against yourself even before you’ve got to the interview.
The Challenge We Face
I know what it’s like to be that person. I know how challenging it can be to try and stand out in the crowd of other interviewees and hope for the best. I know because I was that person. I was in your shoes, trying to stand out and prove that I was the right person for the role.
A Better Way
There is a better way. A way that can help remove those difficulties and challenges. A way that helps you stand out in the interviewee crowd. A way that increases your chances of interview success.
That is why I am here to help you:
- Achieve success at interviews
- Feel more confident and more self-assured
- Be better prepared before, during and after the interview.
I want you to stand out and get that job. I want you to feel that sense of joy, happiness and euphoria when you receive the call that they want you, yes you!
Not That Long Ago
It wasn’t that long ago that I was that person:
- Feeling negative emotions
- I’m not good enough
- Why would they choose me
- I haven’t got the right education
- I haven’t got the right experience
I used to think that there’s bound to be someone better than me for the role. Not a good start even before I’d got to an interview.
All my insecurities came to the fore and if you asked anyone who knew me, they’d be surprised. To most I’m a confident self-assured person, but I’m like you and everyone else. We all have a tendency to question ourselves and our abilities at times. We under-estimate ourselves. We get in the wrong mindset.
I applied for numerous jobs. Often I’d receive the standard ‘We’ll keep you on file’ letter. For those that I interviewed for, it was all a little hit and miss. I experienced the following situations:
- Not hitting it off with the interviewer
- Not really understanding the business or the role properly when I thought I did
- Answering key questions with what turned out to be waffle
- Being caught out by something I’d put on my CV/Resume
- Not remembering key information that should have been second nature
At the time I wasn’t quite sure what worked and what didn’t. It was all a bit of a lottery for me and all somewhat demoralising. I hated it!
6 Key Steps to Interview Success
I hit a low with it and thought there has to be a better way. A better way of standing out and overcoming the obstacles for getting interview success.
I discovered there were 6 key steps to a achieving a higher rate of interview success. These focussed on:
- Personal Branding
- Body Language
- Questions & Answers
This refined process has allowed me to focus on the roles that I really wanted, not just the ones that sounded good or offered the most money. It has also resulted in me being head hunted for roles in recent years. This process I refined over time from my own experiences and those of others I shared it with to see if they had similar results.
On The Other Side
I’m on the other side now, regularly interviewing candidates for roles. I’m always amazed in a market that has a limited supply of jobs that candidates don’t do more to help themselves stand out.
I know that as you’re reading this you’ll have faced similar challenges to the ones that I’ve faced over the course of my career. It’s taken a lot of hard work to work out a system that helps interviewees stand out.
I want you to stand out and get that the job you want. I want the recruiting company to be courting you rather than the other way around.
And now I want to help you to get the same results. I want to share my 20 years of experience and help you. The first is simple, sign up to my email newsletter and I’ll share with you some of my key insights, insider knowledge, experiences, systems and the latest research to improve your chance of interview success.