Having interviewed hundreds of candidates over the years I was thinking about what made some candidates stand out for the wrong reasons.
Here’s my list. Just don’t tell anyone, but I’ve done a few of these too.
39 Wrong Ways
- Turning up late
- Turning up late and not apologising
- Turning up late to the second interview after turning up late to the first and not apologising
- Never turning up at all
- Reading your script whilst presenting
- Looking at your appearance in a window whilst presenting
- Having gaps on your CV
- Not tailoring your CV to the role
- Typos on the CV particularly when you say attention to detail is a key strength
- Blaming others
- Being aggressive
- Pointing fingers aggressively
- Looking scruffy
- Telling the interviewer one thing and then using your recruitment agent to say something else
- Being disinterested in the interviewer
- Not listening
- Not answering the question
- Not closing the interview, particularly if it’s a sales role
- Trying to take control of the interview at the start
- Being arrogant
- Having the last word
- Being dishonest
- Not understanding your weaknesses
- Having no questions to ask an interviewer
- Failing to engage interviewers (when more than one in the room)
- Only coming prepared for a presentation with nothing more than just a USB key
- Being rude
- Being impolite to other people you come into contact with
- Talking too much
- Talking too much and not answering the question
- Poor research for the role and company
- Attempting to ‘wing it’ in the interview
- Being dressed inappropriately
- Using catch-all words such as ‘challenge’, ‘motivated’ etc.
- Being too laid back
- Negative about previous employer(s) and colleagues
- Using inappropriate language
- Keeping a tissue to blow your nose in your bra (yes this really did happen)
My question is, what have you done to stand out for the wrong reasons? What would you add to the list?
JOIN THE ACADEMY
YES! I want to stand out at interviews.
Please send my exclusive Interview Cheat Sheet to the following email address (at no cost to me).